Public Markets in Victoria are a great way to experience local goods in one place. It’s a chance to get away from grocery stores and chain restaurants and experience authentic, local, home-grown food and goods. Public markets are a fun way to socialize and bring home food for your family. Try these public markets for specialty food from farmers, bakers, butchers, and much more.
Victoria Public Market at the Hudson
The Hudson, 6 – 1701 Douglas Street
Head to the well-known Hudson Building and you’ll find the Victoria Public Market on the ground floor. It’s 18,000 square-feet in size and sits where the oldest department store chain and founding frontier business in Canada once was, The Hudson Bay Co. The market is located between Fisgard and Herlad Streets, as well as Douglas and Blanshard Streets.
The public market is intended to show visitors and locals the best food from the area. They offer a farmer’s market on Wednesdays all year long, picnics to go, meals made to order, demonstrations by local chefs in the community kitchen, and a regularly changing team of producers and farmers.
This is the place to go to experience local food from fishers, farmers, cheese-makers, bakers, brewers, restaurants, and florists. Some of the vendors that you’ll find here include:
- Salt Spring Island Cheese, specializing in homemade goat and sheep cheese
- Island Spice Trade, a spice shop
- The French Oven, French baked goods
- Silk Road Tea, organic teas body and skin products
- Sutra, to go lunches
- Damn Fine Cake Company, cake company
- The Grocer at the Hudson, local grocer
Hours of operation include:
- Tuesdays-Saturdays from 9:30am-6:30pm
- Sunday from 9:30am–5pm
- Mondays closed
Moss Street Market
1330 Fairfield Road
Moss Street Market is another great option in Victoria with 25 organic and local farmers supplying hot food and local artisans. The Moss Street Market is open from May through October on Saturdays from 10am – 2pm. They’ve been open for 23 seasons offering fresh produce, handmade crafts, artisan clothing, and services from the local area. Some of the vendors include:
- Eagle Paws Organics, fruits, vegetables, seeds, and preserves
- Elk Lake Farm, fruits, vegetables, baked goods, and jams
- ALM Organic Farm, vegetables, eggs, and seeds
- Carolyn’s Organic Garden, produce
- Keith Mathers, honey, beeswax, and candles
The market even has musicians that perform.
Moss Street Market and Victoria Public Market at the Hudson are wonderful choices for enjoying local goods.